Getting a windshield damage is not a fun time for a driver. A damage can put the driver at risk on the road and ruin the appearance of the car. Plus, getting a car windshield repair is costly and takes time out of a driver’s day. So, what is a driver to do? Be cautious, of course! That means maintaining your windshield to prevent damages. Here are five safety tips that will help you avoid a repair: Continue reading
Windshield Replacement or Repair Fresno
What do you do when you have a cracked windshield? While you might be tempted to call an auto glass repair shop and ask for quote, it is best to know what kind of damage you have first. This is mostly to help you know your options and better talk to an auto glass technician. A windshield replacement or repair Fresno is one option. Another is a windshield replacement. Typically, a repair fixes minor damages while a replacement gets rid of major ones. Here are the signs you need to look for.
Is the crack in the driver’s line of vision?
When you, the driver, is in the car, does the damage affect your driving? For instance, is the chip or crack in your line of vision? If so, then a windshield repair is probably not the best option. Repairing the chip or crack, even if it is small, will still leave behind a mark that will blur the driver’s visibility. In this case, a windshield replacement is the better option. It will ensure that the entire glass is removed and a new one installed to guarantee that the driver can see the road without anything in the way.
The Size of the Damage
The size of the damage should also be taken into consideration when figuring out whether you can get your windshield repaired or replaced. If the damage is bigger than a dollar bill, then the glass will need to be replaced. A damage that big makes a repair too difficult. On the other hand, if the damage is smaller or is as big as a dollar bill, then it can easily be repaired.
Location of the Damage
Another way to see if the damaged windshield needs a repair or replacement is examining the location of the damage. Other than the chip or crack being in the line of sight of the driver, if the damage is in the corner of the windshield, then that is big indication that the entire glass need a replacement. The reason is that a damage in the corner can cause the windshield to break or shatter. Therefore, a windshield repair for this issue is not an option.
How Much Damage
When you look at your damaged windshield, you should examine the amount of chips or cracks the windshield has. Does the glass have more than three chips? Then chances are you will need to get a windshield replacement. Too many chips make the glass susceptible to shattering. Similarly, if the glass has a big crack (bigger than a dollar bill), then you will need to get a replacement.
Knowing what to look for in a damaged auto glass will help you know whether you need a windshield repair or replacement and plan accordingly.
Payment options have their own pros and cons.
Obviously, getting paid is an extremely important component of your business. It is a wise choice to make it as easy as possible for your potential clients to pay you. It could be a mistake not to offer multiple payment options. Payment options have their own pros and cons.
In the good old days, everyone paid in cash . Your first cash transaction probably was when your parents gave you an allowance in cash. It is doubtful that they wrote you a check.
- You get your payment immediately. With cash, there’s no waiting around – the client/customer either has it or they don’t.
- There are no additional fees. Additional fees are added on to other payment options. With cash, there’s no “processing” and there is usually no middle man.
- Not many people carry cash anymore. Most of the population has switched over to credit, debit, electronic, and other forms of non-cash payments. If you insist on only taking cash payments, you’ll end up losing a lot of customers.
- Cash is easy to counterfeit. Be prepared to invest in counterfeit banknote detection pens.
- Extra bookkeeping is required. Cash, especially large amounts of cash, can be hard to keep track of. Your bookkeeping needs to be more detailed than ever if you hope to stay out of trouble with the government come tax time. It will also take several trips to the bank.
Credit (and Debit) Cards
- Credit cards are the most common/preferred payment option. You’d be hard-pressed to find someone without a credit – or at least a debit card.
- Credit Cards are easy to use. They are quick to process.
- Keeping track of security precautions. There are several laws that must be adhered to when you decide to accept credit cards. In order to prevent security breaches and protect your clients, you’ll have to develop a higher level of awareness. Legally, you can’t hold onto a client’s information past a certain point.
- Processing fees. Both credit and debit cards require processing fees in order to finally receive your payment, some higher than others.
Checks are directly connected to your potential client’s bank account, drawing on whatever funds they’ve deposited into their checking account.
- Accepting checks allows you to deal with bigger businesses. If you’re hired to provide services or products for a larger corporation, they will most likely pay you with a check. If you refuse to accept checks, you’d be turning away most of the larger corporations.
- Checks can be processed electronically now. You can process checks electronically if you have the means to do so. There may be a processing fee.
- Older Folk like to pay with checks. If your target market includes retirement-age customers, accepting checks could put you one step ahead of the competition.
- Checks can bounce. If your client has insufficient funds in their account at the time they attempt to pay you, their check could bounce. Not only does this result in a payment delay, but you could potentially be charged a fee depending on where you bank. You may also be charged an overdraft fee if you paid bills or gave the go-ahead to an automatic payment counting on your client’s check to go through.
- Clients have too much control. Check-writing clients have the power to issue a “stop payment” on any check they write. Meaning, your client can essentially write you a check, take your services or product, and then take their money back.
- Trips to the bank. If you’re being paid via checks on a regular basis, you’ll also be making trips to the bank on a regular basis. Depending on your branch, you’ll have to calculate in travel time – and potential bank holds.
This payment option actually encompasses several smaller options. For the purpose of this article, “Mobile Payments” will be classified simply as any payment you can make or receive on your phone; whether it be through an SMS message, a QR code, NFC, or anything else.
- Nearly everyone has a phone. Like credit cards, it’s nearly impossible to find someone without a phone. So, whether your client is sending you a payment through their phone, or initiating a payment through your phone, you’ll be covered.
- Payments are generally fast. So long as your phone is up to snuff, the rest of the procedure goes quickly!
- Certain mobile methods are prone to security leaks. Depending on which mobile payment method you choose, you may have to worry more about security.
- Not all readers are created equal. If you choose a mobile payment method that involves using an app then you may have compatibility issues. Most mobile credit card readers are iPhone compatible, but nothing else is guaranteed.
- An update can cramp your style. Whenever you depend on an app to help run your business, you run the risk of said app “breaking” when an update is released. If you upgrade the program you use and it’s no longer compatible with the phone you’re using to accept payments on, it may be a problem.
Electronic/online payment options such as PayPal are becoming the new normal for some businesses.
- It’s easy. Online payments are arguably the easiest payment option of all!
- It’s fast! Next to cash, there’s no quicker way to get paid than this.
- The fees are high. With few exceptions, the fees involved in receiving online payments are higher.
There are, of course, other options for getting paid such as money orders or direct deposits.
No matter which payment options you prefer, always send out professional-looking invoices and charge what you are worth.
Many years have passed since the invention of the gas powered automobile in the 1890s but it wasn’t until about 14 years later that the invention of the windshield happened. Drivers and passengers would wear goggles to protect their eyes from the weather or road debris while driving. At first, the windshields were made of two-pieced plate glass. When one layer became dirty, the driver would fold it down. This was realized to be dangerous as what happens when that piece became dirty.
The New Windshield
In 1919, Henry Ford employed a new windshield technology, which had a cellulose layer separating two layers of plate glass. This layer held the glass together on impact. It prevented the windshield from shattering in case of an accident or an object hitting the windshield. It did have a drawback – the cellulose became discolored over time.
Windshield Wiper Invention
In 1903 on a visit to New York City, Mary Anderson, while riding a streetcar watched a driver struggle to keep his windshield clear during a snowstorm. The driver had to leave the car to clear the glass. Riders were not happy with the interruption of service. Mary came up with a swinging arm fitted with a rubber blade that the driver could operated from an inside lever. Electric wipers did not surface until the 1920s.
The curved windshield
In 1934, the curved windshield was invented. This decreased drag and improved aerodynamics. About 15 years later, tempered glass was used on side and rear windows. These windows could withstand terrific blows. This type of glass was not used on the windshields however. Laminated glass is what is used today. It’s composed of a plastic substance between two pieces of tempered glass.
Today, windshield installation is equally as important as the windshield technology itself. Windshields must be installed and bonded properly to help prevent injuries or ejection from the vehicle in the event of an accident. It also offers a backboard to the airbags if they are deployed.
Fixing chips and cracks in windshields is now much easier because of current technology. Many chips are simply fixed with an adhesive resin rather than replacing the windshield entirely. With the help of Ultraviolet lights much of the strength and integrity are restore to the windshield. Your windshield is your armor. It protects you from wind, debris, and sunlight, and is very helpful in the event of an accident. It holds up the roof and gives the airbags a backboard to deploy against.
The windshield has come a long way since the 19th century, and the future will likely bring many more advances.
But for the here and now, remember to fix chips and cracks immediately because they greatly compromise the strength of your windshield. Also be sure you take your vehicle to a trusted professional because the modern windshield is only as good as the quality of installation.
At 7 Star Auto Glass Fresno, we come to you so you can stay at home, at work, or at play.
If you have a cracked or chipped windshield, a windshield repair and replacement Fresno is a service that you may need. There are many companies offering this service but before you go, here’s what you should know.
When should you have a windshield repair and replacement Fresno
Chip larger than a dime? If so, your windshield needs to be replaced. During this process the entire windshield is removed and a new one installed. If the chip can be repaired, a special resin in injected into the crack.
Mobile service is critical for you to consider. There may be times when your car is not drivable. At 7 Star Auto Glass Fresno, we can come to your home or office to replace your windshield.
Working with professionals
Your installation will be done by certified and experienced technicians, who are trained to work with a full range of windshield repairs and replacements.
Same Day Service in most cases
We carry a huge inventory but if there is something we don’t have, we can get it from our in-town warehouse in 15-20 minutes.
The average cost to repair or replace a windshield may vary somewhat but the estimates will be close with most repair shops. The dealer’s prices may be slightly higher in most cases. 7 Star Auto Glass Fresno will work with your insurance company to process your claim so you can have your repair or replacement the same day you need it. Insurance coverage depends on the details of your policy coverage. Be assured that 7 Star Auto Glass Fresno will give you the best competitive price.
Expediency is the key
Keep in mind the longer you put off having the repair done, it may cost you more in the long run. Getting a small crack fixed is much less expensive than getting a whole new windshield. The best choice for safety sake, is to have it fixed right away. Also remember, it may be against the law to drive with a damaged windshield.
At 7 Star Fresno, you receive a lifetime warranty. If for any reason, you are not pleased with your windshield, we will replace it free of charge with the exception of chip repair. Labor and parts have a lifetime warranty.
7 Star Reputation
The reputation of your windshield repair shop is important. Our OEM glass is of the highest quality resulting in a perfect installation. What are people saying about the shop you are considering. Check out our reviews. Most customers are pleased with our service at 7 Star Auto Glass Fresno.
Who you going to call when you need a windshield repair or replacement? 7 Star Auto Glass Fresno is a good choice.
When you wash your car, what do you use? Are you leaving streaks behind on the windshield? Are you leaving scratches on the car glass? Avoid the following to prevent auto glass repair and replacement.
What to use and what not to use to prevent auto glass repair and replacement
Sponges – Sponges are probably the most commonly reached for product when it comes to washing a car. People associate sponges with cleanliness. Sponges are meant to scrub, not gently clean. Sponges, when used to wash cars, can scratch at the paint. Worse yet is when they are used to wash car glass. They can end up harming the surface. Though signs of scratches may not appear right away, over months and years, you will notice them. It is important to refrain from using sponges to prevent a auto glass repair and replacement.
Towels – Why not use a towel to dry a newly-washed vehicle? Chances are, you have done this numerous times. Just like with using a sponge to clean your car glass, using a towel to dry the glass can scratch the surface. While towels seem soft, they are not soft enough to use on a car glass.
Ammonia glass cleaner – Many household products contain ammonia in them, and ammonia is very harmful on cars. Though you can use glass cleaner on regular windows and mirrors, you should not use it on your car glass. Not only does ammonia leave streaks on auto glass, which creates glares while you drive, but it also can ruin the glass especially if it is tinted. Over time, ammonia will cause the tint to peel off, leaving you with terrible windows and windshield. It is best to steer clear of ammonia-based products if you do not want to deal with auto glass repair and replacement Fresno.
If I can’t use sponges, towels, and ammonia, what can I use?
Get a microfiber cloth, or two (one for washing and one for drying). A microfiber cloth is safe to use on a car’s paint and glass. It is soft and smooth and will not scratch. There are many products that are safe to use on car glass and can be found at an auto shop or a store with an auto section. These are recommended for washing car glass: Armor All Auto Glass Cleaner, Mothers Glass Cleaner, Rain-X Automotive Glass Cleaner, and Invisible Glass Premium Glass Cleaner.
Preventing a auto glass repair and replacement Fresno is not as complicated as it may seem. By avoiding everyday products you are using to wash your car, you will prevent major damages.
With many car windshield repair shops to choose from, how can you decide which is the right one for you? For one, you must look at the quality of the services. You also need to make sure the prices are just right for you. After all, you do not want to pay twice as much at one shop for the same or better quality service elsewhere. You also want to ensure that the car windshield repair shop you choose has good customer service. Otherwise, you might leave unsatisfied with the repair and unable to come to an understanding with the repair shop. This is why we believe our 7 Star Auto Glass Fresno shop is the best choice for you. But hey, don’t take our word for it. Take theirs: Continue reading
Is your power window jammed? We can fix it. When power windows jam in the open position, it is important to get a power window repair right away.
Keep the rain outside the car, not inside.
Your power window is jammed and a rain storm comes up suddenly – your car’s interior can get drenched. Besides that, you are distracted as the rain hits you in the face. Getting a power window repair prevents rain from entering your car. This way, you can concentrate on the road.
Thieves can see your car’s contents
Another important reason to get a power window repair is to prevent thieves from breaking into your car. Just picture your jammed window open just a crack, leaving room for thieves to unlock your car. You’ve just made it easy for them. Getting a power window repair, the chance of a thief breaking into your car decreases.
Your power window can shatter
If your power window has a chip or crack in it, then it definitely needs a repair. Although a tiny chip might appear harmless, it is not. Imagine driving on the road when your window shatters. If you happen to be right next to that window, the glass might fly at you. This can be dangerous on the road. Avoiding this situation is best.
Let’s leave the weather outside
If you have a jammed or broken power window, hot or cold air can seep in. While it might be fun to have the windows down occasionally, if it is freezing cold or stifling hot, this isn’t a big ideal. Getting a power window repair is a wise choice. It will protect you from extreme weather temperatures and keep your attention on the road.
Getting a power window repair is important, even essential, if you have a jammed car window. It ensures your safety on and off the road.
NOW WHAT? While driving on a highway, a stone from a passing truck bounces a few times. Then it lands with a hard thud on your windshield leaving a crack in the windshield.
Who is responsible to pay for the windshield repair or replacement because of the crack in the windshield?
If a rock falls off the truck, hits the road first, then bounces up and cracks your windshield, the driver of that truck is not responsible. As soon as a rock hits the road, it is considered a road hazard.
The frustration comes when you know what truck dropped the stone. What can you do about it? Following him down the highway can be dangerous especially if you are upset. You can take down the company name and license plate number.
Not responsible? Just because there is a sign, does it make it so?
As you get closer and try to pass the truck, you read a sign on the back that says, “Not responsible for rocks thrown from the road. Stay Back 100 Feet.”
Even if the rocks are coming from that very truck? The only way the driver is responsible for the chip in your windshield is if it falls directly from the truck onto your windshield.
If the truck is illegally overfilled, there may be an exception. It’s a good idea to take a photo of the truck if you can and it doesn’t put you in danger. In some cases, the driver will admit to the mistake and pay the damage. This may be a frustrating process and may not happen in the end.
If this unfortunate incident happens to you, get a repair as soon as possible. A chip can become a full crack in a matter of minutes, hours or days and can happen quicker in extreme cold or hot weather. Cracks that are larger than a quarter probably cannot be repaired. In that case, the windshield needs to be replaced. Free windshield replacement laws are tied into state insurance laws, which are set into place by each individual state.
When all is said and done, if you and your passengers are safe, that should be the most important concern. Have your windshield repaired or replaced as soon as possible.
Car Safety by Wearing Seat Belts
By wearing seat belts and buckling children into age and size appropriate car seats and booster seats, people can reduce the risk of serious injury and death. There are still millions who don’t follow the safety laws. A driver can be pulled over and sited just for not wearing a seat belt – the officer does not need another reason.
To increase seat belt use.
- Laws have allowed officers to stop and ticket someone for not buckling up. Some states only allow officers to give tickets when they have pulled the driver over for something else.
- Increased penalties can be given resulting in higher fines or points on a driver’s license.
- High-visibility enforcement – Combining law enforcement and media coverage is effective for reaching people who don’t use seat belts regularly such as men, teens, and young adults.
- Programs are conducted at night to target people when seat belt use is the lowest and crashes are the highest.
- Child restraint laws require children riding in a car to use approved devices appropriate for their age.
- Effective programs can help advertise car seat and seat belt use.
- Distribution of car seats through giveaways or low cost rentals.
- Incentive programs with coupons or prizes reward parents for correctly using car seats.
- Among drivers and front-seat passengers, seat beltsreduce the risk of death by 45%, and cut the risk of serious injury by 50%.
- Seat belts prevent drivers and passengers from being ejected during a crash.
- People not wearinga seat belt are 30 times more likely to be ejected from a vehicle during a crash.
Seat belts protect people from needless death and injury. People are in a hurry, distracted, and simply forget. Many people don’t wear their seat belts, and thousands die as a result. BE SAFE AND BUCKLE UP!